"We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude." ~Cynthia Ozick
11.07.2011
11.07.2011
 |
| Frida |
I went back to placement today. I was missing the children so much! The number of children who were there today seemed to have doubled, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. I was ecstatic to see so many children when I walked into the classroom. To have an opportunity to learn is a precious gift anywhere in the world, but especially here. To get anywhere, you must begin your education at an early age and continue it for years. The more children at our orphanage learning and being surrounded by people who support their education, the better chance they have to continue with school and get a job with a proper income. However, because they are so young and because we have such an intense language barrier, many of them are not ready to learn from us. Some of them come to school with an empty stomach and dirty clothes, and a night’s rest on nothing more than a cement slab. Their basic needs have not been met, so how can we expect them to focus on their education? At least eight of the children in the orphanage need constant one on one attention or they cry and get upset. With all the new children, and only having two arms, the children cry to be held and push and pull others off of me. I can either focus my attention on the children who have full stomachs and are ready to learn, or should I hold and comfort the children who constantly cry because they are sick or just in need of love and compassion?
 |
| Rita |
Frida was very sad today and crying all morning. Em said she was that way on Friday as well. I just held her while I taught the others. Then Winston begged to be held. When I would try to put either down, they would wrap their arms and legs tight around my abdomen and arms. Both arms were holding these children, and I would kneel down to help a child with numbers or letters, but I wasn’t able to correct them and show them the proper way to write each symbol. It was by far the hardest day I have had at placement yet. I couldn’t wait until teaching time was over so we could go outside and play. Even then though, some children wanted to play soccer or building blocks with me, but I couldn’t because of the children who just wanted to be held and loved. Spear wasn’t there either to assist in translations. These children cause me to feel so many contrasting emotions all at the same time, and I don’t know which to react to.
No comments:
Post a Comment