27.07.2011 Snake Park

Kelvin took me and his cousin Mark to Snake Park today. I visited a Masai museum, which was nothing after being to a real village with Zacki. We also had a guide who taught us about the different types of snakes, their venom, and what each snake bite would do to your body as the venom made its way through your veins. We were also able to hold some of the snakes, crocs, and turtles. This was how I found out Kelvin is TERRIFIED of snakes. He started screaming like a girl when I told him it was his turn to hold the snake (a sand snake, mind you…comparable to our garden snake). Here was this big, strong Masai who can kill a lion with nothing more than a spear, but he is terrified of snakes. To humor me, he allowed the guide to put the snake on his shoulders for a picture. As soon as the picture was taken, Kelvin starts running. The guide had to run after him and grab the snake off his shoulders. I was laughing so hard my sides were starting to hurt. 
After the tour, Kelvin took me to go camel riding. Ever since seeing The Mummy movies, I have wanted to know what it is like to ride a camel. It is scary! You don’t realize how truly massive they are until you’re right there. They also seem clumsy, although I know they aren’t. To lift themselves up, they straighten both hind feet first so you are facing the ground, bracing your weight on your arms to prevent falling off this massive animal. The ride itself isn’t nearly as smooth as riding a horse, and at the end, when you’re ready to get off, they bend their front legs both first. Again, you feel like you’re going to fall off, onto their head. It was a cool experience, but I’m not sure if it was an enjoyable one. Maybe I’d go again if the camel ran with me on top…
After Snake Park, Kelvin wanted to take me to the Masai village where his family originates from, and his uncles, some cousins, and grandparents still live. All of his family was gone at market place, but I did meet some of the other villagers. It was weird to hear the Masai language coming out of Kelvin’s mouth. People have started to tease me, calling me the white Masai, like the book/movie. I’ve never even read it or seen it! There is a copy lying around the house somewhere. I’m going to have to get my hands on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment