30.07.2011 Day Two of the Bus Ride
Nairobi was such a busy city! We arrived sometime after midnight. There were signs lit up by lights, casinos, and clubs. After getting used to the lack of lights and advertisements in Arusha, it was weird seeing so many tall building and bright lights. We stopped here for about 30 minutes to drop people off and pick other people up. I got off the bus to find a bathroom. I had no idea where it was, and didn’t want to stray too far from the bus. A man saw that we were confused, so he got our attention and started to lead us and a couple other people into a back alley, where he said the bathrooms were. I hesitated to go, until I realized so many other people were coming as well. We went through the alley, which was lined with large boxes and sacks of corn and rice. We had to side step in because all the stuff narrowed the walkway so much. We found ourselves in a factory of some kind. The man pointed to some steps across the factory, and then turned around and left. The workers stopped their work to look at us as we went through the factory and up the rusty metal, shaky steps. The squatters were up there. I waited for everyone to finish so we could walk back down in a group. There was a large bucket of water and a cup, for washing hands, but I think my hands would be filthier if I had used it. Two things to always carry with you in Africa: toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
We finally arrived in Jinga at around 0800. We called a tax, which took us to Backpacker’s Hotel. This hotel was right on the Nile River. There was a nice bar and restaurant, a series of dorm buildings, tents with beds, and outdoor showers which were open so you could look at the Nile rapids and kayakers as you showered. We started the morning with a beer, the Nile Special. I can honestly say this is the best beer I have ever tasted, and brewed on the Nile. We saw Matt and Nick, two people from the volunteer house who had left for Uganda a couple days before us. I had thought they would be in Kampala by then, so I was very excited and happy to see them. We ate breakfast together, and they introduced us to Peter and Spence, two fellow travelers they had met a couple days ago. Peter and I hit it off, and then I found out he is from the north side! We have plans to get together when we’re both back in the States.
The rest of the day we spent at the campsite, talking to the locals and tourists. We met another man, Brian, who was here from Hawaii. He had spent the last three months in Uganda doing volunteer recreational work. He taught boys and girls how to play soccer. He also created a job for himself, which will allow him to come back to Uganda in a few months and live here permanently. I love when I meet people like this. People who have dreams, work hard for them, and realize them against all odds and expectations inspire me to work harder at my dreams and desires.
The group of us: Kaylee, Emilie, Matt, Nick, Peter, Spence, Brian, and I decided to sign up for the sunset booze cruise on the Nile. Unlimited booze, great food, even better company, and a beautiful sunset over the Nile set us up for a perfect evening. We danced, drank, ate, and talked, and then carried Nick home. I allowed Nick and Matt to have my camera, which led to a series of hilarious, unforgettable photos. I didn’t want to drink too much because we had to wake up early the next morning for rafting in the white water rapids. This was the reason I came to Uganda and I wasn’t going to miss out because of a hang over!
No comments:
Post a Comment