17.07.2011
There are so many new things to soak in, I haven’t had the opportunity to enjoy a lazy day in. I love this new environment that I’ve thrown myself into. Today a large group of us went to Shanga Shangaa to eat and shop. Shanga Shangaa is an organization that was founded in 2007 by a woman who loved making jewelry. She combined marbles, kanga, silk, and glass beads to form gorgeous necklaces, which she named Shangas. “Shanga” translates to “bead” in English and “shangaa” means “amazing.” I find this to be the most perfectly appropriate name for this company, which employed 34 deaf, hearing impaired, and disabled Tanzanian citizens. These people are fed, given a place to sleep, money to spend, and a friendly, educational, and warming environment in which to work. I went there with no intention of buying anything but when I saw these amazing individuals learning and using sign language and smiles to communicated, my heart warmed. I hear all of these awful stories about disabled children being killed by parents and family who don’t want the burden of caring for them. To see so many individuals absorbed into the Shanga factory was a beam of hope for others.
Our visit started with a tour of the facility and a glass of Champaign while sitting outside in the sun. We were sitting on cushiony couches that were decorated with oversized pillows. The scenery was amazing to look at. The property was surrounded by green hedge and coffee bean plants. There were gardens of tropical trees and flowers and paths that were lined with stones decorated with homemade, recycled-glass beads. The walls were lined with a decorative assortment of green and brown glass bottles, wind chimes made of recycled aluminum and homemade glass beads, and there were strings of silk and glass hanging in the door ways. The deaf and mute employees were melting the glass and making the beads while conversing among themselves and with the guests. They were all laughing at each other and having a good time. I soaked this all in while sipping my Champaign and chatting with the other volunteers. Soon a man came to guide us to our table to begin our five course meal.
The meal started with soup. We had a choice of spinach or carrot and ginger soup. I chose spinach and it tasted delightful. I asked Cam if I could have a taste of his carrot and ginger, and as I was doing so, the server saw me. He said, “No, no. I will bring you your own bowl.” Ashlee saw and also requested a bowl of each. Both were equally delicious! We also got rolls and butter, which I didn’t realize how much I had missed until having them. After soup, we had a veggie simosa with mango chutni. To try to describe the taste of it, I’ll say it is similar to the best tasting egg-roll I’ve ever had, only tastier. Next we had an assortment of salads. We even had cheese!! I hadn’t had cheese since we left! With the power out most of the day, cheese would be difficult to keep in the house. Our main course consisted of an assortment of different meats and fish. I had real beef (as opposed to the meat we’ve been fed that has definitely not been cow beef), tilapia, perfectly seasoned chicken (all pieces were lacking vertebrae bones), and roasted sweet potatoes. I was so full, but HAD to have dessert. We were given a tiny piece of sweet meringue, a sliver of chocolate and caramel cake, and watermelon. We were also given coffee. I’ve missed coffee! I am very glad a waited a while after arrival to go. I feel that I appreciated the simple foods we were served so much more after being fed lentils, chipati (a wheat and maize dough), thin pancakes with no syrup, rice, avocado and cucumber salads, and vegetable mix every day.
| Ashlee, me, and Cam |
After dinner, we went into the shop. I had no intention of buying anything because I was warned by veteran volunteers that the prices are very high. It is a rather large tourist attraction, and therefore the prices are in USD and rather high. After seeing all of the employees though, so happy, and so at home, I fell in love with the jewelry. I knew that I could find similar items for much cheaper at the Masai Market, but they would have meant so much less to me. I found a brown bracelet that I liked, and asked if they could make it in a style similar to another green bracelet that Ashlee had found. It is made of an assortment dark brown glass beads, clay-sand beads, bits of tan and brown kanga cloth, and tiny chocolate beads. It is gorgeous and I love it. I also bought a cream and black shanga necklace decorated with copper and black beads. Ashlee and I will go back in October, and I’ve decided to get two matching bracelets made for Nicole and Danielle. It’s the most meaningful piece of jewelry I have bought so far, and hope that the bracelets will be just as special to them.
No comments:
Post a Comment