24.07.2011 This Handy Woman Here Turned a Log Into A Drum!
I have spent the last three days in the back of Via Via with Freddie, Eddie, and Musa turning a log into a traditional African drum. I bruised the right side of my left hand by hitting it with a hammer, I have metal splinters in my palms, and several blisters and cuts, but wouldn’t change it for the world. I made a drum! Freddie has been making drums since 1992, and Eddie and Musa are his hired help. They were wonderful at sowing me the proper techniques, but allowed me to do the work myself. They were encouraging and it was only by their company and plenty of Kilimanjaro and Safari beers that I kept going.
Step 1- Select a log that is just the right size. Not too big, because I have to mail it home, but not too small because I want people to notice it and say, “Hey, nice drum,” So I can say, “Hey, thanks. I made it.”
| Eddie showing me how it's done. |
Step 2- Size the circumference of the inner circle. Again, not too big because it’s going to be a bitch to hollow out, but large enough to make a good noise. Hammer a nail in the center of the log and use a rope and pencil as a compass to outline said circle.
Step 3- Use a large chisel and hammer to slowly hollow out the center of the log. It took a while for me to get the hang of the proper angles to get the biggest chunk out, without getting the chisel stuck. Musa and Eddie must have un-stuck my chisel for me seven or eight times. . For best results, avoid missing connecting between the hammer and chisel, which unsurprisingly and un-enjoyably results in a painful connection between hammer and hand. After you get about half way through the log, you feel accomplished. Until Step 4.
| This took hours. And hours. |
Step 4- Turn log over and do step three again. Try to not groan loudly when log is turned over. Musa and Freddie will laugh at you, silly mzungu. Poking the chisel through to the other side, however, leads to an explosion of excitement.
Step 5- Chisel bark off the outside of the log.
Step 6- Use large machete to remove the rest of the outside wood and also to carve the desired shape of the drum. Use machete very carefully. If it can do this to wood, what could it do to my arm? This step took me a very long time, and even made me long for my hammer and chisel. In the end, I let Musa help me shape the drum. The blisters on my hands were aching and I was connecting the machete to the wood in such an angle that it was causing a dinging sound and rough vibration more so than it was cutting wood.
Step 7- Sand with metal file. This step takes a long time, but it’s monotonous, relaxing work.
Step 8- Sand with sand paper.
Step 9- Sand with finer sand paper.
Step 10- One more level of sand papering.
Step 11- Seek approval from Freddie. Time to stain! I used two coats, and apply with a brush. This gives it a worn, weathered look. I like it.
Step 12- Remove cow hide from 5-gallon jug. It’s kept wet to prevent it from shriveling and cracking. It smells like a dirty, wet dog and the fur of the cow comes off in my fingers. Size to be a diameter of about 6 inches larger that the diameter of the drum. Cow hide is surprisingly easy to cut, yet hard to tear.
I have drum lessons soon!
| Freddie, my baller drum, and Musa |
I am following these blog entries quite closely. I've enjoyed reading them all so far, especially this one. The latest one affirms one of my fears of Tanzania's socioeconomic turmoil, but alas, I hope you'll continue to be safe. Good luck with your journey Amanda, look forward to seeing you again.
ReplyDeleteThis is so cool. I can't wait to see it, and play it!! Looks like it was very hard work, but fun work!!!
ReplyDeletestay safe
Love,
mom