06.08.2011 Nane Nane with Kelvin
Kelvin came back to Arusha from Moshi to visit me today. He wanted to take me to see nane nane before it became too busy. Nane nane is similar to a farmer’s fair at home. Nane Nane (eight eight, of August 8th) is Farmer’s Day holiday. At nane nane, there were many stores, animal auctions, beer tents, boxing, and a petting zoo (with hyenas…kichaa sana ). I even saw and talked with a beekeeper! Beekeeping here is far different from it is at home. They hang hollow logs onto branches in trees.
Kelvin also took us into the “petting zoo.” It was rather depressing. The cages were dirty, and much too small for the size of the animals. I got to hold more snakes though. They wrapped a boa around my neck and under my arm. I wanted it off as soon as the picture was taken. It was heavy and well…around my neck.
| Not the boa...my camera died right after this picture was taken. Emilie got one with her camera though! |
Lastly, we went to the Ngorogoro conservation tent. Kelvin works for the National Ngororgoro Conservation Center , and so they gave us some free stuff. It was nice to meet and talk to the people he works with also. Before we left, Kelvin warned us to not go on Monday, the official Farmer’s Day. I would like to go to see all the excitement though. We shall see if I can get a group of people to come with.
After nane nane, Kelvin, Mark, Emilie, other people from the house, and I went out to Empire, a local bar. Saturday night is Karaoke night! It is so funny listening to mbongos trying to sing songs in English, and vise versa.
No comments:
Post a Comment