10.08.2011 Masai Burns
I got my Masai burns tonight! The Masai tribe members get two circular brandings, one on each cheek, when they are very little (like age four, age five). I’ve known since my first week here that I was going to get them but I’ve avoided telling anybody at home. I can hear my mom now. “Okaayyy. Um, I wouldn’t do that Amanda. It could get infected. You don’t want an infection in Africa do you?” Mom, I drowned your voice out with my scream as the hot metal sizzled against my skin.
Why did I decide to get it? Because the story behind it is going to be a fun one to tell; because I needed a scar for the, What’s your favorite scar and why game; because I’m dating a Masai and wanted to remember him whenever I see the scar; because it’s unified me with the other amazing volunteers who I’ve met; because I had too many Konyagi sashays. It’s on top of my heart, two overlapping circles forming an infinity.
ohh, Amanda. I am going to put you over my knee and spank you when you get home!! You know me all too well.
ReplyDeleteStay safe and take care of that burnt skin of yours, so it don't get infected..
Love you,
mom