"We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude." ~Cynthia Ozick

Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

08.08.2011 Nane Nane Again



08.08.2011 Nane Nane Again



            Against Kelvin’s advice, I returned to nane nane today with Ashlee, Angela, Noah, and Emilie.  It was absolutely crazy and much too crowded.  We found the beer tent, and went in for a few drinks.  Noah started free styling with a local at the table.  They sounded really good!  It was funny to see the two interacting the way they were, Noah rapping in English, and this local rapping in Kiswahili. We left the safety of the beer tent to enter the crazy crowd, money in bra, hands over pockets. There was another boxing tournament, but so many people surrounding it that we saw nothing so we decided to keep moving.  We had entered a smaller area of the fair and had to exit.  There was a maybe seven foot entrance, and a car parked blocking it.  There was enough room for one person at a time to pass.  Then, while we were in the middle of it, the car moved.  People started running in and running out, nearly trampling others.  There was a child in front of me.  I locked my arms straight ahead of me and put them on the back of the person in front of me, trying to form a pocket of safety for this child.  People were pushing on me, and stepping on my shoes, almost causing me to trip on top of the very kid I was trying to protect.  A local saw me, grabbed my arm to steady me, and asked me if I was alright.  I pointed to the kid, and then he helped me to get the kid out safely. 
            After this, Emilie and Noah wanted to find a tent that would give them dreads.  The other three of us didn’t want to stay to watch that (although if I didn’t think it would greatly decrease my chances of getting a job quickly, I would have loved to get dreads myself), so we decided to leave for Njiro Complex. Njiro Complex is probably the most Americanized place in Arusha, and we all needed a little taste of home.  We ordered pizzas and Mexican while we waited for Emilie and Noah.
            While we were waiting, we met this woman who was in the process of adopting two children form Tanzania.  By law, you must live here for three consecutive years to be allowed to adopt a child.  What is she and her husband doing during those years?  She is opening an orphanage that is uncorrupt, loving, and clean.  I got her business card and played with her children.  After she left, the other volunteers were teasing me and saying that would be me a decade or two from now.  Haha.  What’s wrong with that!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment