23.08.2011 Tumor
I was helping a local nurse today with wound care and dressing changes. Wounds here are much more extreme than the wounds I have seen at home. They are taken care of improperly because of lack of money, education, and resources. When infections occur (which they do, regularly), they are not checked for MRSA or cultured. Rather, they are all treated the same. One woman in particular had a tumor growth on her face. It looked like the underside of a mushroom, but as large as a baseball, and made her unable to talk, chew, or swallow properly. She keeps her face covered with a scarf and Kanga and only takes it off for dressing changes. Since it is an open wound, we crushed Flagyl and sprinkled it on the growth. She was offered a transfer, but refused. There is no more we can do at our hospital, unfortunately, so she lays in the bed, with her family near her. She hardly talks to anyone when I see her. Sometimes, I get the impression that she is just waiting to die.
I am going to be spending a few more days assessing the hospital and trying to figure out how I can use my education and time to the best effect. I want to leave something with the hospital that will continue on long after I am gone: education. As long as I can make them realize the importance of proper technique, hopefully they will continue to do it. There are no enforced regulations to keep them up to par, and that scares me. Meds do not have to be given on time (or locked up), pain is not assessed, and patients are not regularly cared for. It’s why healthcare here is as awful as it is. I talked to Dr. Julius and he is very open to me hosting educational classes for the staff members. Hopefully he will also enforce what is taught.
No comments:
Post a Comment