"We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude." ~Cynthia Ozick

Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

30.08.2011 Bus Ride Home

30.08.2011 Bus Ride Home
Since the surprise trip through the Serengeti ended up being a huge failure, we decided it would be better to grab a normal bus home.  We woke at 0400 again, and hopped on the bus.  The ride was uneventful.  I tried to sleep most of the way, while Kelvin read the paper and told me about New York being shut down due to the extreme weather dangers.  The only slightly eventful thing that happened occurred at a bus stop.  At every bus stop, men and women run up to the bus windows to sell food, snacks, drinks, baskets, and other miscellaneous items.  A group of young men saw me at the window, and ran up.  I only wanted peanuts, so I bought some, but then all of them stayed my window, trying to convince me to buy their items as well.  Kelvin was looking at them also, over my shoulders.   I grabbed his hand, and started holding it.  One of the guys noticed, and started pointing to Kelvin, smiling and yelling,  “Wewe! Ohhhhh, Wewe!”  It’s like he was congratulating Kelvin for holding the hand of a mzungu.  I thought it was funny at the time, but then I started worrying that it was a perk of dating me, and I didn’t want Kelvin to even think of my skin tone.  Then I started thinking about Kelvin, his personality, and how well he has treated me since we met.  He may be attracted to my pale skin, but it isn’t what is holding us together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment